I’ve decided that it’s time to start sowing seeds. January has almost passed and although there is still a bit of morning snow on the ground, my trusty books and seed packets advise me that you can show seeds under cover in these winter months.
I decided to plant some cauliflower in small pots, cabbage in modules, broad beans in a large piece of guttering and peas in the small piece of guttering. The guttering (with drainage holes) allows easy transplanting with minimum root damage and will be kept in the greenhouse. The cauliflower and cabbage are resting nicely on a south facing window sill as I doubt they will germinate otherwise!
Where possible, I get my seeds from Chase Organics, The Organic Gardening Catalogue. You pay a few pennies more per packet, but it is worth it for me to support non GMO and non chemical growing practices. I had great success from last years’ seeds, so fingers crossed this year!!
I fertilised my potato bed with a thick layer of seaweed and back in mid March planted my seed potatoes after the healthy goodness had rotted down. They have come on in leaps and bounds! 🙂
I’ve decided that grass paths in between beds take up a lot of space and encourage weed explosions if not tendered to regularly so my task for the rest of the year is to get rid of the grass. This year’s potato bed is the first to be de-pathed!
You can also see my field bean green manure bed in the bottom right
My family are from Anglesey so when I went back at Christmas, decided to rent a van and bring back as much seaweed as possible for the allotment!
I rinsed the diesel transporting what must have been half a tonne of seaweed back to Leicester and managed to mulch one of my beds. There are many benefits of using seaweed on your plot…mulch to prevent weeds from growing and a nice warm start to the ground, nitrogen, yummy carbohydrates to give veg nutrients, slightly salty to prevent slugs. Perfect! All the other allotmenteers thought I was nuts to have so much seaweed on one bed but the effort has paid off!
Although I had to break up some bits of dry seaweed; the rain, worms and elements had made sure the seaweed rotted down nicely into the bed. Suprisingly, the earth was full of worms and really workable!
I decided to put my earlies in this bed (rocket and some supermarket sprouting pots) so will let you know how they get on!